The Political Scene – The Grim Reality
March 14, 2011 § Leave a comment
This edition of the New Yorker podcast on US politics is pretty grim listening. Some take-away points from me.
- The power of money in politics – if it gets lobbied for, it gets in.
- The Tea Party is the right-wing of the Republican Party rebranded, allowing it to evade all the horrors of the right-wing legacy.
- The Republicans are managing to criticise the effects of a crisis they created.
- The Republicans are once again setting the political agenda (as they have since Reagan) – after a two-year blip where Obama’s administration was lining up the issues.
- The left is too afraid of a fight. We need to draw battle lines, otherwise we lose the battle.