What Do Successful Religious Groups And Unions Working For Social Justice Have In Common?
March 16, 2011 § Leave a comment
A couple of thoughts. Any others you can think of?
- Give people meaning in their lives
- Group equality – sense of group shared identity
- Shared cultural practice – songs, food, meetings/prayer
- Safety of common historic reference points
- Shared investment in the structure – time and money invested
- Regular coming together at events
- Social proof – ‘everyone who lives here is part of it’
- Family tradition – parental activity has huge impact on future life
- Proof of value – working conditions getting better/funerals, weddings, christenings
- Respect within the group, not necessarily given to the group from external elites
- Geographic local community combined with the big picture of an inter-generational narrative