What Business Thinks
July 3, 2011 § Leave a comment
This Editorial Intelligence podcast is an eye-opener on how business and government see each other.
- They think the business lobby is failing – in fact, activists/civil society organisations are too strong and politicians don’t understand business. Departments outside of BIS or Treasury rarely speak to business representatives.
- What they want is truly radical – massive building spree in the South East Greenbelt, a motorway from Oxford to Cambridge, a repeal of the Bribery Act
- There is a complete disregard for (or ignorance of) systemic limits – environmental, population (immigration)
On the panel –
- John Authers, Global Editor of Lex, Financial Times
- John Cridland, Director-General, CBI
- Patricia Hewitt MP, former Cabinet Minister; Senior Independent Director, BT Group and Chair, UK India Business Council
- Lord Sainsbury of Turville, Former Minister for Science and Innovation and Chairman of Trustees, Institute for Government
- Lord Wolfson of Apsley Guise, Chief Executive, Next Plc.